Chicken and Pork Adobo
Adobo is perhaps one of the most well-known Filipino dishes, constantly making its way into global cuisine. It is a dish consisting of some type of protein (seafood, pork, chicken, etc.) that is cooked in a basic vinegar, soy sauce, and water. It’s basic instructions and ingredients make it incredibly easy to cook and to change to fit your own tastes. Most Filipino families have their own variations on adobo – from using different meats, different kinds of vinegar, or new ingredients altogether. It’s a dish that continues to inspire creativity in the kitchen while remaining a piece of nostalgia for Filipinos around the world.
This is the recipe that my family has been using for as long as I can remember. Using both pork and chicken allows for a whole lot of flavor and umami. Of course, feel free to swap ingredients around and make it yours. And of course, make sure you serve adobo with some white jasmine rice. Literally nothing is better than rice and adobo.
3 lbs. pork
2 tbsp. olive oil
Half a head of garlic, roughly chopped
1 c. vinegar
1 c. water
1 tbsp. peppercorn, whole
2 tbsp. soy sauce
Salt, to taste
- Chop pork into 1.5 inch cubes. Try to ensure a healthy mix of fat and lean meat in each cut.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil at medium-high heat. Pour in the garlic to lightly brown.
- Once garlic is a golden shade, add the pork to lightly brown as well and stir around to distribute evenly. This should take about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl mix together the vinegar and water, then pour into pot. Add peppercorn and bay leaves.
- Allow to boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium, and pour in soy sauce.
- Put a lid on the pot, and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- After simmering, add chicken and salt. Stir, and cover pot to simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Turn heat down to low, and allow to simmer again until meat is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and serve immediately.
What kind of adobo does your family make? Any exciting variations? Let us know in the comments below!